Thursday 3 November 2011

Astronauts, Students, Aquanauts and our spherical Spaceship Earth

People say to me, ‘I wonder what it would be like to be on a spaceship.’ And I say to you, you don’t really realize what you’re doing because everybody is an astronaut. You all live aboard a beautiful little spaceship called Earth.

R. Buckminster Fuller


I’ve often heard people say, ’I wonder what it would be like to be on board a spaceship," and the answer is very simple. What does it feel like? That’s all we have ever experienced. We are all astronauts.

I know you are paying attention, but I’m sure you don’t immediately agree and say, "Yes, that’s right, I am an astronaut." I’m sure that you don’t really sense yourself to be aboard a fantastically real spaceship, our spherical Spaceship Earth.

Of our little sphere you have seen only small portions(could be changed using my mini biosphere which can be held in your hands).

However, you have viewed more than did pre-twentieth-century man, for in his entire lifetime he saw only one-millionth of the Earth’s surface. You’ve seen a lot more.

Buckminster Fuller, Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth

"I am not trying to imitate nature, I'm trying to find the principles she using." Buckminster Fuller



Combine the design aesthetics of the space station to symbolise the self contained system of a space station with the self contained system that is earth

Fish or shrimp = Aquanauts

No comments:

Post a Comment