Sunday 4 December 2011

Real education is about knowing how to obtain information

Real learning, real education is about knowing how to obtain information.

Children who have never been schooled learn in a natural way. They know how to learn, they know how to think, they know how to get information.

Learning through Living

Today for Show and Tell, I've brought a tiny marvel of nature: a single snowflake. I think we might all learn a lesson from how this utterly unique and exquisite crystal turns into an ordinary, boring molecule of water, just like every other one, when you bring it in the classroom. And now, while the analogy sinks in, I'll be leaving you drips and going outside." ~ Calvin, from Calvin & Hobbes


"True learning-learning that is permanent and useful,that leads to intelligent action and further learning, can arise only out of the experience, interest, and concerns of the learner" ~John Holt

Good article about unschooling and learning the natural way:

http://learningthroughliving-stephanie.blogspot.com/search/label/natural%20learning

Each day my kids learn so many new things and they explore ideas and concepts and discuss them.

Why do mosquito bites itch?
Hawaiian Islands
Cyborgs
Robots
Pictionary
Clue
Wallaby
Butterflies
Kangaroos
Rabbits
Tongue Twisters
Legos
PS2
WOW
TV
Internet
Store
Drawing
Lots of questions and talking

That's off the top of my head,
I have a hard time remembering everything. I normally wouldn't care but need to learn how to keep track of stuff when I start registering.

Jared is constantly asking me questions, I mean almost non stop.

All sorts of questions...
How do you spell ____?
What is 100 +10?
What does grounded mean? (he heard it on The Incredibles)
How many zeros in a trillion?
Is kazillion a real word?
How long does it take to build a road?
How many days until I'm 100 years old?
What does ground mean?
What does _____mean? He has been asking what everyday words mean, those are hard to answer.
He just asked me what 3+3+3+3 is, is that 12? He answered his own question.
He just wrote 1,ooo,ooo on his doodle board, with commas, now he is making a trillion.
He drew a map of our road too.
Thank God for doodle boards, he uses his constantly
He asks some really thought provoking questions too, like when are Grandma Lynn (my mom) and Grandpa Hank (new stepdad) going to have kids, LOL!
How come ghosts are white?

I wish I could remember all of his questions, they are so constant. He has a unique perspective just like all kids do.
So I think that I will try to keep tab on things we learn about.


The key seems to be curiousity!!! and feeling responsibility!!

No comments:

Post a Comment